Thursday, November 29, 2007

Jamie needs to record a Christmas Album


Has it really been 3 weeks since my last post??!?? Where has the time gone? Hope I didn't lose any faithful readers, but you know how the holidays are. And, yes, according to Al Roker, who lit the tree in Rockefeller Center last night, the Holidays are officially here!

I thought Thanksgiving was the start of the Holiday season. Retailers seem to think it's Halloween. And Boston lit their tree the weekend before Thanksgiving. So, methinks NYC is a bit late this year. Or trying to hold onto their glory days as the best city to be decorated for the holidays. Actually,I think they still are. I went to London over Thanksgiving, and was surprised to find that there weren't trees on every corner, lights on all day and night. I expected it to look like that scene in Love, Actually. Sloane Square was done up nicely, Harrods looked nice, but no better than Macy's in Times Sq.

Let me tell you about my trip. For the first time in ages, I didn't visit any bookstores (unless you count the mini-Borders at Heathrow, which I don't), libraries, and I didn't worry about my job or what was waiting for me when I got back! My desk was not piled up with notes that I did not understand, my mailbox was not overflowing. Sure I still had lots to do, but not overwhelmingly so. Don't get me wrong: I miss my friends (very much) at SPL, but that was a real treat, walking into my office and seeing it just as I left it.

Course, our office was closed the Friday after Thanksgiving (and on the weekends), where the library is open all weekend! That does not seem fair...I really think having the library be closed on Black Friday would assist the economy. So next year I propose closing all public libraries on Black Friday, not for the staff to enjoy their day after cooking and hosting 30 people, but to boost the economy.

But back to my trip. I spent the whole time walking the city with my sister, we saw Jamie Cullum in concert, and even managed to get tickets to see Mary Poppins (another musical--what a surprise). We also shopped, went on the London Eye, and ate! The fruit in England is AMAZING! I don't know how it can be so fresh in the middle of November. I hope to go over again for another fun girl's weekend--maybe next summer.

So, how was your holiday? As exciting as mine?

1 comment:

Bailey said...

Sounds like a great time-
I agree about NYC- I like the tree at Rockefeller Center more than any local ones.
I was in London in December once. Harrods was decorated nicely but I don't remember anything else looking Christmasy.