Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I Want My MTV back!!!!!

Remember when you were a teen (or younger) and you had to sneak cigarettes so your parents wouldn't find out? I don't b/c I never did. I sneaked music videos! A friend and I were reminiscing about music videos from the 80's. The conversation started by him mentioning Cradle of Love by Billy Idol. I used to sneak watching that one, b/c it was very risque for it's time. A girl come to her dorky neighbor's door with a tape, asking to use his tape player and proceeds to dance to the song through his living room, on his bed, while wearing-GASP- a black bustier and skirt. This is so tame by today's standards.

That got me thinking about all the videos I grew up on...well, until 1987, when my parents had MTV scrambled off our cable b/c they didn't like the content. My parents were so forward-thinking! Before it was cool to hate MTV, they were already doing it! Anyhoo, here's a list of my favs in no particular order:

Land of Confusion by Genesis
anything by Madonna
Cold Hearted by Paula Abdul (another one i had to sneak)
Goin' Crazy by David Lee Roth
Simply Irrestiable by Robert Palmer
When I Think About You by the Divinals ( keep in mind I was 8 and had NO IDEA what this song was really about).
Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
anything by Poison
Dancing In the Dark by Springsteen
that Paul Simon video featuring Chevy Chase

There are more....TONS more...but I want to hear about the ones you remember watching.

1 comment:

Bailey said...

"Take it so hard" - Keith Richards
"Thriller" - Michael Jackson (before he went nuts)
"Downtown Train" - Rod Stewart
"Jump" - Van Halen
So many more I can't remember now....
"Radioactive" - The Firm
Anything by the Pretenders or Moody Blues